Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 07:14:26 +0100

Le 11/12/2018 à 00:21, David Collier a écrit :
On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden>
wrote:

Le 10/12/2018 à 22:59, David Collier a écrit :
I copied the script below to the SSD /etc/grub.d  directory and ran
update-grub, and verified that the menu shown when booting comes from
this grub instance.

This is not what I am asking for. What about the GRUB bootloader itself
(boot image and core image) ? Did you run grub-install ?

ah, no, I did not, will try tonight.

No, don't change anything yet. Investigate first.

For now, the only explanation which comes to my mind is that the active
GRUB is not GRUB EFI but GRUB BIOS, which expects to chainload a boot
sector with AA55 signature instead of an EFI executable.

is there any way around this?

First, check what GRUB flavour is running.
Type "c" at the GRUB menu to enter GRUB shell and type "set" to print
environment variables. One contains the target architecture efi or pc.

will do and report here, thank you for your help,

Variables of interest are :
cmdpath
grub_cpu
grub_platform