Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition

From: David H. Durgee
Subject: Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 14:44:55 -0400

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 03/06/2018 à 18:32, David H. Durgee a écrit :
My apologies for the mangled quotations in my replies.  I had not subscribed to the mailing list as I did not anticipate the need to continue following it after solving the problem at hand.  As such, I was viewing the replies on the web and copy/pasting them into the SeaMonkey email client to respond.  Unfortunately the web form contains only an option to reply directly to the author of a post via email, and even that includes no content of the post.

Hints :
- When you post on a mailing list you are not subscribed to, you can ask people that the replies are CC'ed to you. Some lists make this impossible by mangling the sender's address in the From: header, but this one doesn't. - If the list is mirrored as a newsgroup by news.gmane.org (this list is) and your mail client does NNTP (Thunderbird does), you can read the posts through the newsgroup and reply to them. Gmane mangles the From: and To: headers, so you have to set the To: field manually and remove the Group: field. Be aware that the group name can differ broadly from the original list name ; for instance, this list is mirrored as gmane.comp.boot-loaders.grub.user.

Regarding the partition I am looking to install linux mint sylvia to, /dev/sda15 is indeed a logical partition and I am chaining from another boot loader.  The boot loader in particular is the IBM Boot Manager, as provided with the IBM OS/2 and the eCS products.  As I noted earlier, this boot loader can chain load a linux installation with grub installed in the PBR of a jfs partition.  I have also had suggestions to change from jfs to ext4 for the linux installation, but I have no idea if the IBM boot manager can chain load such a partition.

Is this the only reason why you use JFS (an IBM filesystem) ?
Is IBM Boot Manager natively capable of booting directly a Linux kernel image and its initramfs ? If no, then I guess it just chainloads the boot code in the partition's PBR and does not care about the filesystem type.

The other workable alternative would be if someone can tell me how to chain load an OS/2 or eCS installation on a jfs partition from grub. Obviously this works from the IBM Boot Manager as well as the Air Boot loader provided with later eCS systems.  I have tried in vain to do so myself with grub.  My vague recollection is that some information must be loaded in memory and pointed to at the point of chaining, but I don't know the details or how this can be done with grub.

I am afraid I cannot help you on this. I do not know OS/2 nor eCS at all. Would it be possible to install IBM Boot Manager's boot sector code into a partition's PBR instead of a disk's MBR ?

The IBM Boot Manager is installed as one of the three primary partitions on the boot drive and is flagged as the active/startable primary partition.  The standard MBR then chains its boot sector which starts the boot manager.  So it is already in its own primary partition boot sector.  I could install grub to the boot drive MBR, but then a second step would be required to access the systems as grub would need to chain the boot manager which then chains the other systems.

My history is I come from the OS/2 and eCS background and thus my systems were set up working with those systems first.  I added other systems as I needed to work with them and have since moved on to where my primary work environment is linux mint.

To the best of my understanding the IBM boot manager does indeed chain load the boot code in the partition's PBR, as it has no problem booting FreeDOS, Windows as well as OS/2, eCS and linux with grub in the PBR of a JFS partition.  I have never tried to do so with linux installation formatted otherwise, so I don't know if it would work or fail.  I also use the DFSee tools which work well with JFS partitions.  I know that Jan has added ext support to DFSee as well, but I don't know if it has reached the level of support available with JFS partitions.

So my preference at this point would be to continue following my previous practice of installing linux in a JFS partition and placing grub in that partition to be chained by the IBM boot manager.  It appears that the linux mint installer, ubiquity, does not allow that as an option.  It also appears that it does allow me to tell it not to install a boot loader at all when invoked from a terminal session, which should allow me to install it after it has installed the latest linux mint to the partition.

Once I have done so I will have to see if I can immediately chroot to that freshly installed partition and install grub there, possibly needing to install the package if it was not installed already.  If I cannot do so immediately, I guess I will need to reboot the Live DVD and then chroot to the new installation.

Thank you for your input thus far in this issue.  If I encounter further difficulties I will be back with additional questions.

Dave