Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition

From: David H. Durgee
Subject: Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 10:51:13 -0400

Le 03/06/2018 à 15:11, David H. Durgee a écrit :

        Le 03/06/2018 à 02:24, David H. Durgee a écrit :

            I am encountering problems attempting to install grub on a linux
mint 18.3 (sylvia) partition on a multi-boot system.  When booting the live DVD
and invoking its installer the partition is not listed as a target to install
grub.

        Which devices are listed ?

The only partitions listed as possible grub targets were the master boot record, a FreeDOS partition and two NTFS formatted Windows partitions. The JFS formatted linux and eCS partitions, including the target for the new installation, were not listed as possible grub targets.

Could the first three partitions be primary partitions and the other ones be
logical partitions ? Then the Mint installer may consider that there is no
point in installing GRUB in a logical partition PBR, as it cannot be booted
from a standard MBR (however it can still be chainloaded from another boot
loader).

You are correct, I ran grub-install and grub-probe in a terminal window started from the Live DVD session. I have NOT installed sylvia yet, so chrooting is not an option at this point. Given I cannot select the proper target for the grub install I aborted the install itself.

Do you mean that the Mint installer offers to install GRUB before installing
the base system ? Weird.

I don't believe it actually installs grub at that point, it simply wants to know where it should put it.

I had not thought that grub-probe error related to the source instead of the target.

The error is not related to the source. The /boot directory is a target too.

The GRUB for BIOS boot loader installed by grub-install is divided in three
parts : 1 - the boot image is installed in a disk (MBR) or a partition (PBR)
boot sector 2 - the core image is installed on the same drive as the boot
record ; the exact location can vary and is selected automatically by
grub-install, you do not have direct control over it 3 - modules, config files,
fonts, language files... are installed in the /boot/grub directory or
${boot-directory}/grub if specified ; it can be on a different drive.

grub-install must be able to map these locations to "real" drives, because they
must be readable using disk BIOS calls (int13h) at boot time. You get the error because
the current /boot is included in a AUFS filesystem which cannot be mapped to a real
drive. Anyway, this would be the wrong location. You want /boot in /dev/sda15, not in the
installer's virtual root filesystem.

    Can you confirm for me that JFS is a supported grub install target?

No, because I do not use JFS. But I wonder why GRUB would drop support for JFS
and I can see that the current development GRUB packages in Debian still
include the jfs module.

<https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/grub-pc-bin/filelist>

In that case perhaps it is the mint installer that is excluding JFS targets.

I can see from the targets listed that FAT and NTFS are supported, but obviously I am not going to install linux on either of those.

Note that installing GRUB's boot image on a given target device does not
require that GRUB fully supports its filesystem. The only requirement is that
GRUB know that the boot sector format leaves enough available space to install
the boot image. GRUB must only support the filesystem containing /boot, because
this is where GRUB files and kernel files are located.

I received a suggestion on the mint forums that pointed me to a way to install sylvia without it installing the boot loader. Were I to do so would it work for me to then chroot /dev/sda15 and run grub-install there? Or would things be a bit more involved than that?

Dave