Re: HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE incompatible with grub

From: Michel Bouissou
Subject: Re: HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE incompatible with grub
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 00:10:08 +0100

Hi,

Le 10/12/2017 à 23:31, adrian15 a écrit :
> 1. How do you put exactly those live cds into the USB ?
> Do you use the DD method or another one?

The non-working method was to use dd from the isos. (And yes I know how
to do it, I've done it for 20 years...)

Then I used unetbootin to obtain a key with a writable filesystem on
FAT32 instead of an ISO (but still not booting) that I could "fix"
easily with syslinux.

> 2. Can you please try Super Grub2 Disk Hybrid with the DD method?
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.02s10-beta5.iso/download

Yeah, but not this evening and most probably not before wednesday
evening at least - that's my son's machine and I won't have a chance to
play with it before.

> Does the menu appear for you?

No. The very attemp to load grub results in a black screen with a _
cursor in the upper left corner, PERIOD.

Which means : no menu, no error message, not a single "grub" word.

Having the EFI try to load it, or trying to chain it from rEFInfd
produces the exact same result.

> 3. And what about Rescatux with the DD method? Does the grub menu even
> appear?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rescatux/files/rescatux_0_51_b3/rescatux-0.51b3.iso/download

I'll try to give this a shot asap...

Thanks for your help.