Re: ipxe breaks grub-net efi

From: Randy Goldenberg
Subject: Re: ipxe breaks grub-net efi
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 23:12:26 -0700

On Tuesday April 25, 2017, Carl Karsten wrote:
I am not sure who's problem this is.  Seems ipxe leaves things in a state
that causes grub to do something different.

I have found a useable solution for my needs, but it looks like there is a
bug in either or both ipxe.efi and grubnetx64.efi.signed .

What doesn't work as expected:

# Chain load ipxe, then grubnetx64.efi
# doesn't work. grub doesn't request any files from tftp, like boot/grub.cfg

If your goal is to boot to an installer, you can do that directly from ipxe with no need for grub. It's faster too, as ipxe can pull in the kernel and initrd using http rather than tftp.

#!ipxe
dhcp
echo Starting Ubuntu x64 installer
set base-url http://mirror.it.ubc.ca/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64
kernel ${base-url}/linux
initrd ${base-url}/initrd.gz
imgargs linux boot=http priority=low initrd=initrd.gz