Re: Two systems -- supposed to be the same, but booting with grub differ

From: my59stang
Subject: Re: Two systems -- supposed to be the same, but booting with grub differently. What'd I miss?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 15:11:57 -0700

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> BIS correctly display grub2 on this distribution. Please make full
> RESULTS.txt available.

Since you were suggesting the RESULSTS.txt would have important info, I took a
good long look at the differences in the two Systems' results.

Finally, adding this to the grub config

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=false

and changing my /etc/fstab

-       /dev/md0 /boot ...
+       UUID=(uuid of the md0) /boot ...

now both Systems boot up without any delay.

There's no other RAID or disk devices on either system so I don't know what
might be getting searched incorrectly but it seems that explicitly setting the
UUID= does the trick.

I still have the Grub installed in the partition on the one SYstem -- but I
guess that since the MBR is *also* installed that that takes precedence, and
the info in the partition gets ignored.

Not 100% sure of that though.  And would like to figure out how to remove from
the partition, leaving the MBR alone, and NOT screwing my setup!

JerryG