Re: Environment variable for BOOTP next server?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Environment variable for BOOTP next server?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:43:50 +0300

16.01.2017 12:50, Steven Shiau пишет:
> Dear all,
> When using dnsmasq with proxy function, i.e., to separate the DHCP
> service with BOOTP service. The GRUB environment variable
> "net_default_server" or "net_<interface>_dhcp_server_name" is about the
> DHCP server.

Reviewing RFC 951 (with clarifications) - it is absolutely unclear what
this variable actually means. RFC only says about possible usage of this
field by client; nothing is ever said about what *server* should set it to.

> Is there any variable reserved for BOOTP next server? I

net_<interface>_next_server is set to the value of siaddr field of BOOTP
reply, which is defined as "next server" by RFC.

> just can not find it in the grub2 manual.

It is present in current GIT.