Re: Is GRUB2 customizeable enough?

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Is GRUB2 customizeable enough?
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:53:49 +0100

On 25 Jul 2016, at 11:17, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> As you mentioned, this ends up doing "set default=..." so of course it
> accepts everything grub accepts including menu entry ID.

Which would be interesting if there were any IDs in the config file ...

>> If you are now saying there's another alternative, that's of interest.
>
> Titles are just not unique enough, and grub-mkconfig generates IDs for
> quite some time (and in principle it generates them predictably, based
> on filesystem UUID).

Just checked the most recently installed system I have and there's no IDs in
the grub.cfg file. I guess this is probably "a distro thing" and it's not the
most cutting edge - Debian Wheezy.
Note that I did suggest the OP hack the config generator to create a unique
title, thus getting round the obvious "not very unique" attribute when there
are several similar OSs installed.

In this case I wouldn't be that bothered, since it's something you can
over-ride from the menu. But in general I find UIDs rather inconvenient for
exactly the reason that makes them good. They are a PITA to manually store and
type in - something that becomes very relevant when trying to get a system
booted and there's no copy-n-paste available.