grub2-install: Couldn't find physical volume ‘(null)’. (fwd)

From: Sam Varshavchik
Subject: grub2-install: Couldn't find physical volume ‘(null)’. (fwd)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 15:18:31 -0400

Andrei Borzenkov writes:

11.04.2016 20:21, Sam Varshavchik пишет:
> Andrei Borzenkov writes:

>> ‘(null)’.
>> ‘(null)’.

>> > Googling around finds some references of this warning coming out
>> while the
>> > md-raid volumes are being synced. This warning still comes out after
>> > everything is fully synced up.
>> >

>> I think I know what happens. Did you reboot after MD was resynced? If
>> not, please try
>>
>> blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sda
>> blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sdb
>>
>> and try grub2-install once again.
>
> I did not reboot, but this did not make any difference.
>
> address@hidden ~]# blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sda
> address@hidden ~]# blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sdb
> address@hidden ~]# /sbin/grub2-install /dev/sdb
> Installing for i386-pc platform.
> /sbin/grub2-install: warning: Couldn't find physical volume ‘(null)’.
> Some modules may be missing from core image..
> /sbin/grub2-install: warning: Couldn't find physical volume ‘(null)’.
> Some modules may be missing from core image..
> Installation finished. No error reported.

OK, so please, do the same for partitions that are part of MD device
where /boot is located and try once more.

blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sdaX
blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sdbX

You did not answer which MD array is /boot so I cannot tell which ones.

The /boot was on /dev/md0, which was /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. And that did it, thanks:

# mount /boot
mount: /dev/md0 is already mounted or /boot busy
      /dev/md0 is already mounted on /boot
address@hidden ~]# blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sdb1
address@hidden ~]# blockdev --flushbufs /dev/sda1