Re: Multiple boot from USB stick

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Multiple boot from USB stick
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:48:55 +0300

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Karsten Malcher
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> linux16 /memdisk iso
>> initrd16 /fdbase.iso
>> boot
>>
>> Does it suite as a concrete solution? :)
>>
> I was talking about the file FreeDOS_1.1.iso.
> Where did you get this 2 iso files?

There is one iso file. Sorry, it was 1.0, not 1.1:

http://www.freedos.org/download/download/fdbasecd.iso

> Why you can boot them without a loopback?

Because no loopback is needed. I want to boot from ISO, not extract
files from it.

> But this method is working now and i can understand why:
> menuentry "FreeDOS ISO Image Isolinux" {
>         set isofile="/boot/iso/FreeDOS_1.1.iso"
>         loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile
>         linux16 (loop)/ISOLINUX/MEMDISK
>         initrd16 (loop)/ISOLINUX/FDBOOT.IMG
> }

I do not know what fdboot.img does so I cannot comment.

> With use of loopback i am mounting the iso file.
> Then both files within the iso are loaded and executed.
>
> FreeDOS 1.1 is starting, but then it can't work with the files within the ISO.
> So i get the message: "SETUP wasn't able to locate any disks to install
> FreeDOS 1.1 from"

Well, I did not try to launch setup, but I can access ISO after
manually loading eltorito.sys and shu-bla-bla (whatever name for CD
shim is, do not remember).

But I am not surprised it does not work for you. I suspect fdboot.img
contains just enough of FreeDOS to locate and access CDROM. But with
the way you boot it there is no CDROM anywhere. The way I boot CDROM
access is emulated by memdisk.