Re: Using conditionals in embedded config?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Using conditionals in embedded config?
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 21:13:48 +0300

06.02.2016 17:07, Shea Levy пишет:
> I'm setting up an unassisted android boot process, where I first check
> to see if the system has requested boot into recovery and boot from the
> recovery bootimg if so (booting from the normal bootimg otherwise). None
> of the traditional android partitions are appropriate for a grub config.

You can build standalone image with GRUB on internal memory disk that is
embedded into core.img. That memory disk may then contain grub.cfg with
full scripting capabilities.

OTOH it just another argument in favor of dedicated android loader that
handles all this logic internally. From what you said so far it does not
look like there is much flexibility in boot process anyway.

> I can just add an extra partition (which I'm doing for now), but a) this
> is not supported by official flashing/update mechanisms and b) this
> increases the window during an update to the bootloader where loss of
> power would result in a corrupt system (with embedded config doing all
> of the work, I only need to update boot.img and core.img, with a config
> on a separate partition I also need to update that partition.

This is rather orthogonal, but yes, having better support for alternate
install location would indeed reduce risk of unbootable system.