Re: Issues with device detection in an EFI/GPT scenario

From: Andreas Loew
Subject: Re: Issues with device detection in an EFI/GPT scenario
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 00:03:51 +0100

Hello Andrei,

Am 03.02.2016 um 20:07 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
OK, that helps, thanks. Could you test attached patch?
SUCCESS! :-)

I can confirm that this patch indeed fixes the issue for me! All error messages on boot are gone, regardless of whether the PATA, the SATA or even both optical drives are empty/do not contain media. Well done!

I myself now have a custom-built, patched RHEL7 "grub2-efi" RPM that fixes the issue. Given the fact that I don't own a RHEL license - is there any way that you as the Gurb team can ping distro maintainers (such as RHEL, but others as well) and tell them that there is a Grub patch that might indeed be worthwhile including in their next package updates? I assume that currently any grub user in an EFI/GPT scenario with an empty optical disk drive gets those nasty error messages at boot...

Thanks a million for your kind help with this & best regards,
Andreas