Re: [grub] Experiencing difficulties to access USB key files

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: [grub] Experiencing difficulties to access USB key files
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 15:08:28 +0300

23.01.2016 14:39, Arbiel (gmx) пишет:
>> But GRUB does not have driver to access this hard disk anymore. Current
>> GRUB disables BIOS access as soon as these modules are loaded. If you
>> want to test them, please always use "nativedisk" GRUB command which
>> attempts to replace device name in $prefix and $root with new one,
>> discovered by native drivers.
>>
>> Old GRUB may not have this command though.
> Do you mean that "hd0,msdos1" and so on, are sort of symbols for
> information understood by the BIOS that grub own drivers do not understand ?

hd0 refers to disk accessible via BIOS. USB mass storage accessible
directly using USB drivers would be name usb0 (or whatever running
number). Command "nativedisk" attempts to find and replace new device
names in $root and $prefix.

> In short statement, I cannot have grub using its own drivers without
> writing a whole new application and I have to drop the idea of accessing
> any file on a USB drive if the BIOS itself does not encompass USB drivers.

Not sure I understand what you mean. You can replace drivers online
using "nativedisk" command or you can even install GRUB using
grub-install --disk-module=native.