Re: Removing grub rescue from core.img

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Removing grub rescue from core.img
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:18:59 +0300

21.01.2016 03:11, Ángel González пишет:
> Hello, is there a "proper" way to remove grub rescue from the core.img?

You can't really do it - rescue parser is used during embedded config
processing.

> That is, if accessing /boot/grub fails, it should not offer a rescue
> shell. It could retry, hang, reboot, halt…

Yes, it was requested before. As you have seen for now there is no way
to do it without patching.

> Searching about this only yields people who deleted their Linux
> partition and want to reinstall Grub or another OS loader. :-/
>
> I want to strip grub rescue from the generated image, or maybe disable
> it even if the code was still there.
>
> So far, my best bet would to be to replace grub_rescue_run() with
> something else (grub_halt() is a good candidate) and recompile grub.

I think returning proper error indication to firmware so it can try next
boot choice is more logical.

The challenge is to implement it without increasing size of core for
usual case ...