Can't boot when usb drive is attached

From: Ingrid Ribeiro
Subject: Can't boot when usb drive is attached
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 11:38:55 +0000

Hello all,

I have this grub.cfg:

The problem I'm having is that whenever there is an usb (non-bootable) drive attached to my system, grub detects it as hd0 and the hard drive in which I have the OS installed is named as hd1 and thus grub can't find the image to load ( the boot order is correct on the bios.). When there is no usb attached the hard drive is named as hd0 and everything is fine. Now, I know I could solve the issue by using "search" but I'm really confused here, because I thought that the current harddrive loaded by the bios should always be hd0, so I'm not sure what is happening... Is there a way to make grub to always set my HD to hd0, so that when the usb is added it is set to hd1?

Thanks!

Ingrid

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer immediately. It is the policy of Klas  Limited to disavow the sending of offensive material and should you consider that the material contained in the message is offensive you should contact the sender immediately and also your I.T. Manager.

Klas Telecom Inc., a Virginia Corporation with offices at 1101 30th St. NW, Washington, DC 20007.

Klas Limited (Company Number 163303) trading as Klas Telecom, an Irish Limited Liability Company, with its registered office at Fourth Floor, One Kilmainham Square, Inchicore Road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8, Ireland.