Re: Unknown command 'else'?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Unknown command 'else'?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:29:20 +0300

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Steven Shiau <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2015年09月18日 12:00, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>> 18.09.2015 06:38, Steven Shiau пишет:
>>> Dear all,
>>> I encountered an issue "Unknown command 'else'." when embedding a config
>>> in uEFI network boot image.
>>
>> embedded config is processed before normal.mod is loaded so only
>> commands in rescue mode are available. bash like scripting is feature of
>> normal.mod.
> So the description in the grub 2 manual is not really correct, like here:
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~floppym/grub.html#Embedded-configuration
> ?

Yes, looks like it. It needs some adjustment. Care to open bug report
on savannah.gnu.org?

> It mentions that when echo, search_label, and test modules to be
> included in the core image, the above embedded config should work.
> Actually the running result for the above if condition works, just the
> error message looks weird.

What do you mean "works"? It shows last error, so you simply do not
see errors about preceding "if" or "configfile" commands. Actually, I
have somewhere patch to make it more verbose at this point ...

As I just suggested in another thread - create standalone image using
grub-mkstandalone. It puts full grub in memory disk and you can add
grub.cfg on top of it. This grub.cfg runs after normal.mod is loaded
from memory disk so full functionality is available.