custom picture before loading kernel

From: M.R.
Subject: custom picture before loading kernel
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 09:06:41 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I would like to patch grub to display a custom picture before loading the linux kernel.
The final goal is to have the picture being shown until the kernel finishes loading.

I did the following:
1. I customized the theme loader to recognize "desktop-image-boot" as keyword
2. I added a field desktop_image_boot in "struct grub_gfxmenu_view"
I managed to load the image provided by the user via the theme.

Now I wonder how and when to ask grub to display the boot image.
First guess is grub_menu_execute_entry - when the user presses ENTER.
Second guess (more logical and more general, since the user might get into a submenu by pressing ENTER) - is grub_loader_boot.
I was considering calling this block:
     grub_video_bitmap_destroy (view->desktop_image);
     view->desktop_image = scaled_bitmap;
     view->desktop_image_boot = scaled_bitmap;
     grub_gfxmenu_view_draw(view);
However, I don't know how to get the view and I'm not sure the image would actually be displayed. Furthermore, I'm not sure the view still exists in grub_loader_boot.

Could you send me at least a hint, please?

Thanks in advance,
Marian