Re: How to reuse the the part of codes about file system in grub ?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: How to reuse the the part of codes about file system in grub ?
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 14:27:42 +0300

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 1:30 PM, Arch Stack <address@hidden> wrote:

>> grub-mount requires all filesystem drivers which in turn require all
>> supporting code so you cannot compile it alone.
>>

> I know that grub-mount depends on many part on GRUB, but not all of it,
> isn't it? I think it never need 'grub-menulst2cfg' or 'video.mod' or many
> other mod in hundreds of mods.
> What I want to know it's how Makefile works to generate grub-mount, or how
> autotools works.

There is no provision to selectively enable/disable individual modules
or tools. You will need to modify templates and remove parts you do
not need.

GRUB top level files are Makefile.util.def and
grub-core/Makefile.core.def. They are processed by autogen.sh to
generate Makefile.am. I'm afraid the only documentation for it is in
sources. Documenting it would be of great help.

>> Current development version of GRUB can be built on/for Windows (it
>> was tested with Cygwin, MinGW, MinGW-64 cross compiler). grub-mount
>> itself depends on FUSE so cannot be used as is on Windows (unless
>> there is FUSE port for Windows); rewriting it as Windows installable
>> file system is certainly possible and would be the best route in this
>> case. That would make it also available on Windows ... as long as you
>> are content with lack of write support.
>>
> I have tried to comiple GRUB on Cygwin or MSYS2 but failed.

Without knowing exact GRUB commit, Cygwin version and errors you got
it does not say anything. Post full build log starting from
autogen.sh.