Can I password protect individual operating system entries?

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Can I password protect individual operating system entries?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 04:31:40 +0000

Someone was asking me if they could password protect specific OS entries, I.e. a password would be required to boot that OS. I did a bunch of Googling but everything I found mentioned editing 10_Linux and the like inside /etc/grub.d/, however the files were completely different from any of the examples or articles I could find.

I realize I could probably edit grub.cfg but that would get overwritten every kernel update. My friend is running Ubuntu 14.04 if it matters.

Is this still possible?