Re: booting freebsd 9.1 with grub2 on usf drive SOLVED

From: eoakes
Subject: Re: booting freebsd 9.1 with grub2 on usf drive SOLVED
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 15:10:23 +0000 (UTC)

From: "Tom Oakes" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2015 2:16:38 PM
Subject: booting freebsd 9.1 with grub2 on usf drive

Hello,

I have a 2 disk computer.  HD1 is divided into 4 partitions Partition1
contain freebsd 8.2. Partition  2 filled with garbage. partition  is
extended and holds ubuntu.  I am trying to get pcbsd work in partition 4.

I use GAG to boot the various Operating systems. GAG finds a Freebsd
loader for freebsd 8.2 and freebsd 9.1. Gag finds a grub2 loader for
ubuntu. This grub will also loads freebsd 8.2 but not 9.2.  I can not
get  PCBSD boot with GAG. My system boots from the HD1 MBR.

I do not want to try installing a pcbsd boot loader in either disk's MBR
until I can get all 3 systems to boot from my new install of usb grub2!
I can currently boot ubuntu and freebsd8.2 from usb grub, but have been
able to get freebsd 9.1 to boot. I haven't tried to get pcbsd to boot
from the usb grub yet.

Searching the web for direction find many suggestions  but I have found
nothing that works. Many are version unknown.

Below is the usb grub 40_custom. As you can see from the commented out
lines, I have tried many different combinations of entered commands.

Do you have any suggestions?

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply
type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "FreeBSD 8.2" {
         insmod ufs2
         set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
  #       search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set  4c9511e4308fb60f
         kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
  #       kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
  #       kfreebsd_module /boot/splash.bmp type=splash_image_data
         set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:ad4s1a
}

menuentry "FreeBSD 9.1"{
#           insmod chain
# insmod ufs2
     set root='(hd0,1)'
#           chainloader +1
#  kfreebsd /boot/kernel
  # set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:ad1s1a
# title  Freebsd 9.1
#rootnoverify   (hd0,1)
#root (hd0,a)
kernel /boot/kernel/kernel
END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

If you also have suggestions on how I try to boot the pcbsd OS, I would
appreciate them!

Thanks,

Tom Oakes

I found the problem
The DVD drive must be HD0, so the second hard drive turned out to be HD2.
Tom