Re: error: disk lvmid/... not found Entering rescue mode...

From: Jelle de Jong
Subject: Re: error: disk lvmid/... not found Entering rescue mode...
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:08:44 +0200

On 20/07/15 18:20, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> В Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:54:04 +0200
> Jelle de Jong <address@hidden> пишет:
>
>> On 20/07/15 16:29, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

>>> Just to be sure - did you try to boot on ML110G7 or on Z600 first?
>>> Just to exclude that booting once sets some flag on degraded MD raid
>>> that GRUB does not like?

>>> This looks pretty much fine as far as grub is concerned. Could you try
>>> in grub command line
>>>
>>> set debug=diskfilter
>>> ls
>>>

>> I tried to boot in on the ML110G7 first and when it didn't work I put it
>> in the Z600.
>>
>> grub rescue> set debug=diskfilter
>> grub rescue> ls
>> (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) disk/diskfilter.c:135: Scanning for DISKFILTER
>> devices on disk hd0
>> disk/diskfilter.c:135: Scanning for DISKFILTER devices on disk hd0
>>

> Yes, diskfilter debugging needs some love.
>
> Do you know what superblock format is used? Could you dump superblock
> using "mdadm --examine /dev/sdb1" (or whatever device is)?
>
> If you have possibility to compile upstream grub, testing it would be
> definitely helpful.

I spent more time testing, hence the delay in my reply.

The problem exist with the combination of mdadm with metadata format 1.2.

The problem is not there with format 0.9 I created a bootable system.
I'm not sure why this problem is only showing up on the ML110G7 but its
been costing me a lot of time/resources.

I upgraded the BIOS and iLO firmware to the latest version to be sure,
but this did not solve the problem.

# working system # Boot Info Script 0.71 result with mdadm metadata 0.9
http://paste.debian.net/285192/

I'm planning on rebuilding all systems with mdadm format 0.9 as a
workaround now.

There is no newer version of grub-pc available in jessie-backports.
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/grub-pc

I'm willing to test compiling upstream grub if there is a list of exact
command to execute or if someone can provide a DEB package.

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong