Re: can't get a correct resolution[halt-solved]

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: can't get a correct resolution[halt-solved]
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 16:24:10 +0300

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 4:10 PM, François Patte
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Le 02/07/2015 05:16, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :
>> В Wed, 01 Jul 2015 23:41:58 +0200 François Patte

>>> No change....
>>
>>> I use nvidia driver, is this the source of the problem? If yes,
>>> how to solve it? When I boot the debian (which also use the
>>> nvidia driver) the resolution is correct...
>>

>> Sorry, no idea. But I do not see how GRUB can do anything here.
>> After kernel is loaded it is up to kernel to set resolution. Did
>> you try asking on Fedora forums?
>
> I did, but no answer was given except to contact help-grub list....

:)

> I found a culprit: the command linux16 in the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. If
> I change this command to linux, I can get the correct resolution
> during the boot.
>
> 3 questions arise:
>
> 1- The first line of the boot message begins by "failed" in red color,

Message from grub or message from kernel?

> but I cannot see what has failed because the display is too fast and I
> cannot stop it using the pause keys of the keyboard... How to slow
> down the messages? (my system is on SSD, so the boot takes less than
> 10s).
>
> 2- Changing linux16 to Linux seems to not affect the boot. Am I right?

I do not understand the question. Changing to linux obviously *does*
affect boot, you now get correct resolution :) Could you rephrase your
question?

> 3- How to get this change (linux16 to linux) resists to updates?

Sorry to disappoint you, but that is the question for your
distribution. Upstream grub does not emit "linux16" at all. This is
done by distro-specific patch.

But you should also be able to get desired resolution with linux16 by
adding vga= parameter to kernel command line. For 1024x768x16 this
would be vga=0x31A. See
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
for list of possible modes.