Re: Boots to grub and references non-existent hd1

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Boots to grub and references non-existent hd1
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 22:17:50 +0300

В Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:51:12 -0800 (PST)
address@hidden пишет:

> [...]

Distributions that support EFI secure boot ship pre-built image so they
can sign it (you cannot sign something that is created on end-user
system) and disable module loading (because modules cannot be
signed ... OK they can but nobody right now does it). So grub can
support only those filesystems that have drivers included in pre-built
image. It never loads modules from disk (even if it could - it cannot
in your case).

Because your boot menu refers to shim, it is strong indication that
your system is setup for EFI secure boot (shim provides common
implementation of EFI signature check).

Normal grub-install builds grub image on the fly and includes all
modules needed to access /boot/grub. All other modules are then loaded
dynamically as needed from /boot/grub.

> Looking at lsmod again I see that the ext2 module is loaded, so maybe I will
> try another re-install setting my boot partition to EXT2, although I would
> much prefer to have it on a journaled filesystem, but I don't see an ext3 or
> ext4 module listed in the /boot/grub/x86_64-efi directory.  Are they named
> something different that might not be obvious?

grub2 ext2 module supports all flavors of ext* filesystems (some brand
new features could be still unsupported though; I tend to recommend ext2
for /boot to be on safe side).