Re: error: no such disk

From: Chris Fisichella
Subject: Re: error: no such disk
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 18:08:17 +0000

Quoting Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden>:

В Sat, 14 Feb 2015 04:49:18 +0000
Chris Fisichella <address@hidden> пишет:

Hi,

I went through the archives and tried to apply the commands contained there
in. I still can't get grub to hand off the computer to Debian 7.8.0.

The install is "all files in one partition" Indeed, when I boot using the
DVD 1 "rescue mode," I can get the software to open a shell for me on
/dev/sda1, I can "ls" and see the file system. The grub config file is
located at

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

I looked at /boot/grub/device.map and saw the (hd0) mapping looked funny,
so I tried changing it to /dev/sda1, but it still will not pass off the
images.

device.map is irrelevant when booting although it could cause incorrect
image to be generated. Best is to remove it, it is not needed by grub2
under normal conditions.

I saw you can get to a grub prompt. I don't know how to do that with my
setup. The machine just starts and after a few seconds, I get this:

Grub Loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: no such disk
Entering rescue mode
grub rescue>

Most likely you have old grub image on disk that refers to filesystem
that is no more present. You need to reinstall grub from rescue CD.
Boot with any live media, mount /dev/sda1 and run grub-install, like

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda

As I said better is to remove device.map before running grub-install

May Debian has some specific instructions how to recover bootloader in
which case you better ask them. Also above will make grub2 primary
bootloader; if you dual-boot you may want to install grub on partition.

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for trying to help me out.

I tried to do most of what you wrote.

1. I booted using the DVD 1 of the Debian distribution. They have a rescue mode, so I enabled it. That rescue mode allowed me to start a shell on /dev/sda1, which is the whole file system on one partition.

2. I moved /boot/grub/device.map to /root/device.map.orig

3. I ran:
grub-install /dev/sda
Installation finished. No error reported.

I rebooted without the DVD and it gave me the same no such disk error.

As I was booting, I saw something flash by about a software RAID. There only one disk in this machine. Would that be causing problems?

Thanks,
Chris