Re: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:21:32 +0300

В Wed, 11 Feb 2015 19:12:54 +0400
John Frankish <address@hidden> пишет:

> > > How do I compile grub for both efi and i386-pc?
> > >
> > > It seems like I can have --platform-efi or --platform=pc (and
> > > --target=x86_64), but not both?
> > >

> > You can't build two platforms at the same time. Build two times and install
> > under common prefix, like
> >
> >./configure --prefix=/usr/local/grub-test --with-platform=efi make ; make
> >install ; make distclean ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/grub-test
> >--with-platform=pc make ; make install
> >/usr/local/grub-test/bin/grub-mkrescue ...
> >
> > May be we should extend grub-mkrescue to take a list of directories so it
> > could build multi-platform image directly.
>
> Grub-mkrescue does indeed make a legacy bios/efi boot cd that works (I note
> that it invokes grub-mkimage) :)

You can now start with this invocation and extend it; at least you have
something that is known to work.

> The trouble is that it copies all of the pc and efi modules to the iso making
> it larger than necessary.

All modules take ~2M, so for two platforms it will be ca. 4MB if you
skip all fonts, locales and themes. What are you going to do with this
image if 4MB is too much?

> I presume I can use "--modules=" to embed only the modules required to boot a
> CD. To avoid burning another 20 coasters:
>
> 1. What are the minimum modules required to boot only from CD/DVD and load a
> linux OS?

I do not know. Seriously :)  I would tentatively presume iso9660,
biosdisk (for PC BIOS), part_msdos, part_gpt, normal, linux and whatever
dependencies it pulls in. Basically it is whatever grub-mkrescue puts
into core.img + normal + loader for your OS.

> 2. Can I then delete all the modules from the iso and rebuild it with
> mkisofs/xorriso or is there a way to prevent grub-mkrescue copying the
> modules?

Did you try grub-mkrescue --help?

grub-mkrescue --install-modules