Re: Cryptomount is blind (useless systematic check, lvm, etc.)

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Cryptomount is blind (useless systematic check, lvm, etc.)
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 22:24:58 +0300

В Sun, 09 Nov 2014 16:53:50 +0100
"Garreau\, Alexandre" <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hello, I’ve got some problems with cryptomount, trying to make a
> superportable script that could automatically detect any sort of OS or
> bootable thing and offer options to boot it. I’ve encountered multiples
> problems since beginning (like the fact I can have to enter a same
> password twice for instance for GRUB login and cryptomount, or syslinux
> sourcing not working yet), but now here a new that I think could be
> fixed improving cryptomount features (again):
>
> I have a whole harddisk GPT-partitionned with one big LUKS partition
> containing a LVM volume that contain two partitions: root and swap (it’s
> useful to have it encrypted, especially for secure hibernation).
>
> The first problem I noticed is this one: doing cryptomount -a I see
> “(crypto0)” as “(lvm/LVM713-root)” appear and that’s fine, but if I want
> to mount only my harddisk, or to mount devices one after other to mount
> only some devices (for example only external (ata, usb, fd) or internal
> ones, or not to mount already mounted devices and save time), I noticed
> “cryptomount (ahci0,gpt1)” makes “(crypto0)” appear, but not
> “(lvm/LVM713-root)”. There’s no command to mount LVM, normally it’s
> automatically done when detecting a new device, but actually cryptomount
> do it only with option “-a”.

There is no such thing as "mount" in grub. Every file name includes
device identification (explicitly or implicitly as $root). Some
commands like "ls" or "cryptomount -a" scan all devices, which probably
you interpret as "mount".

When you try access (lvm/LVM713-root) grub will *always* scan available
devices to find this volume. There is no need to "mount" it.