Disabling UUID in grub-mkconfig_lib

From: Carl Turney
Subject: Disabling UUID in grub-mkconfig_lib
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 12:07:07 +1000

Hello, and thanks in advance,

*****
INTRO/EXPLANATION:
*****

Although I have done some programming (only part-time, long ago, and in obsolete languages)... Currently I'm just a busy user (NOT an IT technician) and don't have the time to fully learn/understand all the concepts in "the GNU GRUB manual".

Anyone generous enough to just answer my question (below), with a bare minimum of assumptions and background explanation? Thank you VERY much. It's GREATLY appreciated.

For many years my single-disk stand-alone Ubuntu 10.4 worked =fine=, after I've tweaked it to identify hard disk drives by device specs (/dev/sda#), instead of by UUID. (Could go into an explanation of why, but it's solid and this email is too long already.)

Now installing latest Mint on a new box, and dusting off my old "disable UUID" configuration notes-to-self.

I am still fine with making all the necessary relevant edits to:
  /etc/default/grub
  /etc/fstab
  /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
... and then running update-grub2

*****
QUESTION:
*****

BUT: I'm rusty, and really need some help on =exactly= what lines to comment out of (or edit within)...
  /usr/share/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib
    and (?)
  /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib
... to identify drives by device specs instead of UUID.

These files are 9.8kB, were created 11 Apr 2014 at 20:51 EST, and came with the Mint 17 install ISO.

My best guesses are, on each of the above two files:

  Comment out the section on GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK (am not using)

  Comment out:
    the two lines starting with   if fs_uuid=
    their then lines (and the subsequent then code),
    their else lines (but NOT the subsequent code),
    and their fi lines.

Correct guesses?

Notes: Will do this on a "scratch monkey" at first. All data very well backed up, and off-site.

Help.  Thanks!

Carl Turney
Melbourne, Australia