Re: install two instance of linux in uefi mode.

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: install two instance of linux in uefi mode.
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 10:31:51 +0400

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Bizhan Gholikhamseh (bgholikh)
<address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have partitioned my disk to
>>>
>>>  /dev/sda1 efi,
>>>
>>> /dev/sda2 ext4,
>>>
>>> /dev/sda3, ext4
>>>
>>> /dev/sda4 swap.
>>>

>>> I boot my system in uefi mode, the /dev/sda1 has efi which is mounted
>>> on /boot/efi.
>>>
>>> This is  ubuntu 14.04 system installed on /dev/sda2. I managed to
>>> install another instance of ubuntu 14.04 using debootstrap on
>>> /dev/sda3, now I need to install grub for that partition, what should I do
>>> please?
>>>

>>grub2 installs bootloader in \EFI\${GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR} directory, where
>>GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR is defined in /etc/default/grub. >After installation you can
>>manually edit this file; whether it can be changed during installation you
>>probably need to ask on your >distribution support list.
>
> I like to understand what you suggesting. If GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR is modifiable.
> Then you suggesting to install the grub for the new slot (/dev/sda3)
> \EFI\<New destination>\ directory ?  Please let me know.

Bootloader is installed in ESP (EFI System Partition) which in your
case is sda1. That is why you need  to different GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR, to
distinguish between two different instances of the same OS.

Alternatively you could create second ESP for your second OS. Linux
should have no problems with it.