Re: Debian squeeze on raid 0 and install grub2

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Debian squeeze on raid 0 and install grub2
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 09:08:02 +0100

Damien Moity <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wrote a script that allows me to install the distribution "debian squeeze"
> on a RAID 0 but the script crashes when installing grub :
> -------
> grub-install --modules="raid mdraid part_gpt ext2" /dev/md0
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless
> disk.  This is a BAD idea..
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required
> when the root device is on a RAID array or LVM volume.
> -------

Just checked, and I have a system running md raid and Squeeze. I'm pretty sure
all I did was "grub-install /dev/sda", "grub-install /dev/sdb", and so on. I
did however create partitions and then raid them - so I have a 100MB partition
on each disk, and these are then put together into a RAID1 volume which then
has a filesystem put on it.

My reasoning goes that the RAID1 array (as far as Grub is concerned) is N
readonly copied of the array contents. So Grub can read the same thing from any
of the disks (if sda goes AWOL, it'll boot from sdb and so on). Knowledge of
the RAID isn't needed until the kernel/init fs are loaded - by which time you
are running a kernel with RAID support.