Low-level documentation

From: Fredrik Tolf
Subject: Low-level documentation
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 05:28:04 +0200 (CEST)

Dear list,

Grub 1 is obviously long dead by now, but one thing I always liked about it was how transparent much of its low-level workings was. It made it easy to make it work on systems that were broken in strange ways or where I had to work under weird circumstances.

Grub 2, on the other hand, seems to try to go the "user-friendly" way, with `grub-install' wanting to do all the work for me. This is fine, I guess, so long as the circumstances aren't too strange for it to work.

What bothers me particularly is the actual installation step itself. Building a core image and all seems documented enough, but the `grub-bios-setup' utility isn't even so much as mentioned in the Texinfo manual, and even less so what it actually does, in detail. Is there any available information on this anywhere?

Thanks for reading!

--
Fredrik Tolf