Re: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for RAID and

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for RAID and LVM install.
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 19:58:33 +0400

В Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:47:33 +0200
bl0 <address@hidden> пишет:

> On Monday 31 March 2014 18:22:57 Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > В Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:32:20 +0200
> >
> > bl0 <address@hidden> пишет:
> > >
> > > Does this mean that grub2 will only support hard disks partitioned
> > > recently and will not support hard disks which have been in use for a
> > > longer time?
> >
> > address@hidden:~> LC_ALL=C ll /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26480 Jan 14 22:06 /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img
>
> Some info where the size comes from:

I know. I was replying to "will not support hard disks which have been
in use for a longer time". You really cannot squeeze every conceivable
feature into 32K.

> $ /opt/grub2/bin/grub-mkimage -O i386-pc [module ...] | wc -c
> 31467  biosdisk part_msdos lvm minix
> 29941  biosdisk part_msdos lvm

It actually takes even less than I expected (note that it also pulls
in diskfilter).

> 23047  biosdisk part_msdos
> 22214  biosdisk
> 20165  (kernel only)
> (minix smaller than tar or cpio on v2.00 but still doesn't fit)

You may be interested in
http://marc.info/?l=grub-devel&m=139175222350026&w=2

> My filesystems is mainly zfs on lvm, but grub can store its data on a
> separate lvm volume in any simple format it wants. I can't easily create
> more msdos partition table entries because of the stupid limit
> of 11 partitions in some linux (kernel) versions.

With LVM you need just 2 partitions at most. And with zfs directly,
without LVM, you have enough space to store bootloader (128K).