Re: troubleshooting boot hang

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: troubleshooting boot hang
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:13:32 -0700

On Feb 10, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Chris Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> GRUB 2.00-25 (Fedora 20) booting a 2011 MacbookPro in EFI mode.
>>
>> About 1 in 4 times, I get a boot hang with a particular kernel entry. I
>> choose the entry in grub, press return, the grub menu goes away and is
>> replaced with a black screen with a white _ and that's it. Nothing.
>>
>> If I add 'set debug=all' right before the linuxefi line
>
> Can you reproduce this problem using the "linux" and "initrd" commands
> rather than "linuxefi" and "initrdefi"?

I haven't tried it. I'm fairly certain it was a bad kernel build or rpm
download because it hasn't happened with any kernel before or since; yet it has
the same transient occurrence even after reinstalling regardless of Btrfs
compression options. If it's useful, I'll try to reproduce with
linuxefi/initrdefi and if so, try to reproduce with linux/initrd.

Chris Murphy