Re: Progress indicator on loading images

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Progress indicator on loading images
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 09:58:14 +0400

В Чт, 02/01/2014 в 04:09 +0100, Bertho Stultiens пишет:
> Hi,
>
> The old grub (v1) displayed a set of dots while loading kernel and
> initrd files from disk. However, it seems that it is impossible to get
> this behavior enabled in grub2.
>
> I am booting on an old machine from usb (v1.1) and it takes ages to get
> the 20MB loaded. An indication of activity and where it is in the
> process would be nice.
>
> Is there a way to configure a progress-bar or the old dots while the
> kernel and initrd are being loaded from disk in grub2?
>
> BTW, this is on a machine with "xubuntu 12.04 lts".

Current grub2 (2.02 beta2 at the moment) includes progress module that
is supposed to display current percentage and estimated speed. Somehow
it does not for me, but may be it just loads too fast. You could try to
build it (may be it is packaged already). You will need to do "insmod
progress" before loading files.