Re: Cannot find core.img on a 3Tb GPT usb disk

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Cannot find core.img on a 3Tb GPT usb disk
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:22:18 -0600

On Aug 14, 2013, at 9:50 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

This indicates it's a 512e drive, but your original post said it had 4096 byte
logical sectors.

>  Is it then possible to make BIOS recognise this disk to allow booting?

It should see it as a 512 byte sector drive, so yes if it really has 512 byte
logical sectors.

> Can gdisk be used to do the job? If yes, how?

Either gdisk or parted can be used to partition the drive correctly, using GPT
partition scheme. However some BIOS have problems with GPT partitioned disks;
and other BIOS have problems booting from USB.

> My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L rev-1.0 with (Award) BIOS version F9,
> if that provides additional useful information.

Do you know for sure that this computer can boot from a USB drive? If not I'd
test that first, and use MBR partition scheme to eliminate that as a variable.
It's also possible it's the combination of USB and GPT that causes the problem,
that the BIOS becomes confused with a > 2.2TB drive being reported. You might
ask these questions to Gigabyte tech support and see if USB booting of a GPT
partitioned 3TB drive is possible.

Chris Murphy