Re: GRUB2, GPT, mdadm & LVM

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: GRUB2, GPT, mdadm & LVM
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:00:35 +0400

В Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:25:54 +0200
Sander Smeenk <address@hidden> пишет:

> Quoting Andrey Borzenkov (address@hidden):
>
> > Yes. MD array will appear in the list as soon as at least one member
> > was seen, but we need enough members so it becomes ready and can be
> > scanned for LVM. May be extending ls so it can show diskfilter volume
> > states would be useful.
> >
> > So the first think to check is how many physical disks are visible at
> > grub prompt.
>
> Only the first 8 disk (on the first controller?) show up in grub:

OK that explains why LVM never appears.

> grub rescue> ls
> (md/0) (hd0) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2)
> (hd2,gpt2) (hd2,gpt1) (hd3) (hd3,gpt2) (hd3,gpt1) (hd4) (hd4,gpt2)
> (hd4,gpt1) (hd5) (hd5,gpt2) (hd5,gpt1) (hd6) (hd6,gpt2) (hd6,gpt1) (hd7)
> (hd7,gpt2) (hd7,gpt1)
>
> There should be another 8 disks. Now i wonder if this is GRUB at fault
> or the controller not publishing its disks properly(?). I'll look into
> the controller settings...

grub is at mercy of (controller) BIOS here. It can only access devices
that are presented by BIOS.

Are they all on the same controller or on different ones? If you have
two different controllers, may be you need to enable BIOS (option ROM or
however is it called) on the second one.

If your controller is AHCI compliant (I assume it is unlikely to be
IDE) you could try to use ahci instead of biosdisk as physical disk
driver. You need to build different image for it.