Re: error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

From: vinayak holikatti
Subject: Re: error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 11:55:22 +0530

Hi Andrey,

I will check the INT13h 48h function, Where it is going wrong. Thanks for the help.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
В Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:26:04 +0530
vinayak holikatti <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hi All,
>
> I am developing an Legacy Option ROM for our controller. We are facing
> issue in loading FC 17 installed on our device. Windows 8 Installs and
> boots fine. But for FC 17 32-bit we find an error message during booting as
> below
>
> *"error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'
> *
> *Entering rescue mode...
> *
> *grub_rescue>*
>

> I am suspecting that INT13 routine with function 48h ( Get Extended Drive
> parameters). If we disable  extended functions then FC 17 boots.
>

> I would like to know in what circumstances we get the error message.

a) attempt to read or write outside of disk :)
b) attempt to read or write past 8MB in on BIOS in CHS mode

You probably hit the latter. Apparently, grub does not like what you
return from INT13 48h and falls back to CHS.

>                                                                     If it
> needs to be corrected then what should it be.

See grub-core/disk/i386/pc/biosdisk.c, specifically function
grub_biosdisk_get_diskinfo_real().

--
Regards,
Vinayak Holikatti