Re: Does GRUB work with BSD

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Does GRUB work with BSD
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:17:15 +0400

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Bret Busby <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> As I have had no response to my query posted on 06 March, about GRUB and
> BSD, specifically, PC-BSD, I now have to ask, is BSD and its various
> versions, unsupported by GRUB?

grub2 provides loaders for FreeBSD and NetBSD. I do not know how
(in-)compatible various *BSD flavors are and whether these loaders can
be used for them as well.

> I noticed that a message that I received from the list, prior to posting my
> query, aparently showed an attitude relating to SCO UNIX, of "If you use SCO
> UNIX, you can go and get...".

No. You received response that developing and maintaining bootloader
for new operating system requires having an actual copy of this
operating system running. So someone who has SCO UNIX installed will
need to contribute patches.

Did you try using generic chainloader? Did it not work or something
was missing if it did?