Re: Help-grub Digest, Vol 60, Issue 16

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Help-grub Digest, Vol 60, Issue 16
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 01:17:09 -0700

On Jan 13, 2013, at 12:51 AM, Jake Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

> The Syslinux one sounds cool and simple. I didn't know there was a single,
> standard MBR code that chainloaded the VBR of the active partition. Now I do.
> See, it pays to subscribe to the help-grub mailing list.
>
> You may also try a more direct approach: re-install Grub and use the ntloader
> command. I don't think that even requires Microsoft's VBR code, let alone
> their MBR code.

At a grub prompt, help said ntldr loads NTLDR or BootMGR. I will guess insmod
ntloader is needed to do chainloading, but I don't have a Windows menuentry
handy to look at. I'm not aware off hand of any GRUB module that would write to
the disk. There is a means of writing to a grubenv file for saving last saved
boot selection. But that's the only thing I think GRUB writes to. In any case,
NTLDR is a sizeable boot loader, it doesn't fit into 440 bytes of MBR so I
wouldn't expect this command, even if it writes, could fix this problem.

Chris Murphy