Re: recovering win7

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: recovering win7
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:56:30 -0700

On Jan 12, 2013, at 1:47 AM, squareyes <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have deleted partitions formatted them after deleting partitions and
> created a
> single new partition, and used the recovery disks (5 dvd's), I elected to
> re-install everything,
> thought that format the drive, but after re-starting I get a screen with
>
> error:no such partition.
> grub rescue>

You're saying you deleted all partitions from the Windows 7 installer, and
reinstalled Windows 7 to a single new partition? When you say re-install
everything I can't tell what you've reinstalled.

> The person who I am giving it too has to use Win7, I would prefer that she
> uses Linux but she won't.
> Is there any command I can enter on
> error:no such partition.
> grub rescue>
> to restore the mbr

GRUB's core.img has been loaded, but it can't find the root device and thus
where GRUB's *.mod files and grub.cfg are located.

It sounds like GRUB's 440 bytes of "jump to core.img" code in the MBR boot
loader region has not been replaced by the Windows installer, so that code is
still jumping to a specific sector on the drive and loading the core.img.

Booting from the Windows 7 install DVD, and running Startup Repair should be
able to fix the problem eventually. Perhaps faster is to use the command prompt
and do

c:
bootrec /FixMbr

Chris Murphy