Re: Default Grub legacy menu.lst to Grub2 grub.cfg

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Default Grub legacy menu.lst to Grub2 grub.cfg
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 12:26:56 -0700

On Jan 8, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> have two basic questions:
>>> 1. Is correct that it necessary for the Grub2 MBR to be access Grub files
>>> installed in a separate partition in order for it to boot freeBSD?
>>
>> No.
>>

> Not quite. GRUB2 has modular design. It consists of many small drivers
> (modules), each for a single feature. The part, that is embedded (in
> post-MBR gap) usually contains the minimal number of modules which are
> exactly enough to access another file system, where all other modules
> are located.
>
> So to have full featured GRUB2 answer is - yes, it needs access to
> GRUB2 files in another partition.
>
> It is possible to build monolithic GRUB2 that has everything, but then
> it won't fit in post-MBR gap anymore.

Yeah I misunderstood the question, I think. The *.mod files and grub.cfg can be
essentially anywhere with the current version of GRUB2. I can't vouch for 1.98.
But 2.00 will find these files on extended partitions, buried inside LVM LV's,
and even on a six disk RAID 0. It's kinda amazing actually.

Chris Murphy