Grub 2 EFI blind mode

From: Richard Collins
Subject: Grub 2 EFI blind mode
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 14:16:13 +0000

Hello all, I need some help. My system has become unbootable.

It was working fine with EFI booting until I set the following in /etc/default/grub.conf

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

I then ran update-grub2

When I reboot grub says:

"error: invalid video mode specification 'text'

"booting in blind mode"

the system then hangs indefinatly after a brief flash from the harddrive. It may be waiting for a password for an encrypted volume I have but i wont repond to "S" or "Esc" keypresses

I've tried adding set gfxpayload=true|keep|false - none of which work

Ive tried adding set gfxmode=640x480

The kubuntu boot cd wont load properly and 12.04 has broken keyboard / mouse support. this is driving me mad!

How can I undo the changes I made at the commandline?

Does anyone know a good efi rescue system?

I have a MSI 990FXA-GD65 (version E7640AMS V19.9)

The system only has Kubuntu 12.10 installed on ssd with gpt