Re: Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition

From: Ulf Zibis
Subject: Re: Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 06:10:13 +0100

On 2012-11-23 04:19 (GMT+0100) Ulf Zibis composed:

Maybe it could be done with XXCOPY while booted to a maintenance system, but
not by a partition
clone. Registry modifications would be required as well as adjusting boot.ini.

Well, but XCOPY (I guess you mean the one with one X)

Two: XXCOPY.

Ah, I've found it, thanks. But I suspect, if XXCOPY would copy the boot sector of the original partition, which I think is required to boot from the "clone". I still can't imagine, what would speak against normal partitioning cloning, in simplest via dd. But yes, a registry tweak on a not booted system should be necessary.

Windows can be booted by any primary partition that contains NTLDR, if it is an
unhidden
partition, and there no other Windows native unhidden primary partitions.

I have a different experience, behind the one, which is booted, other visible
primaries are allowed,
see my last comment below.

Can't do that. Once chainloaded, you have to use the Windows boot menu from a
properly constructed
boot.ini. This will be necessary if you make only one primary to be used as C:.
You only put two
Windows stanzas in Grub's menu if you have two different primaries that could
be C:.

... + edit the grub.cfg to add the hidden (+ makeactive) commands, because
grub-update would not do
that automatically. Grub seems to assume, that the the 2nd Windows should run
as e.g. D:. Then there
is no need to hide the 1st.
Right?

2nd Windows where? D: will never be a native partition on a first HD primary.

From Windows setup it is possible to install another Windows on same disk in another primary partition. This 2nd Window's systemdrive then would be D:, as C: is already assigned to the 1st unhidden Windows native partition, which is still visible. Such configuration would be detected by update-grub, so both Windows installations appear in the Grub menu, and both could be successfully booted via Grub's chainload. But if the 2nd Windows installation was not originally installed to D: , then this Window instance would fail or/and corrupt the 1st at some point.

Do you know what makeactive does? Are you sure it does what you need or want
done?

I Think I know, it alters byte 0 of the partition descriptor in MBR from 0x00 to 0x80. Then the generic boot loader in MBR or Grub would chainload the bootsector of that partition.

Windows cannot boot a system with more than one visible native type primary per
HD. In a single HD
system, D: will always be a logical, and C: will be the one and only visible
primary.

Hm, that confuses me totally. See the following partitions I have on another
disk, no Grub or Linux
installed:
sda1: NTFS **boot** ---
   Windows XP installation
sda4: NTFS **none** --- Data
sda3: extended **lba**
sda5: FAT32 **none**-- - Backup
sda2: Compaq **diag** --- Thinkpad Recovery (physically at the end of the of
the harddrive)

All partitions are visible and I can perfectly boot Windows from sda1.

I can't respond without knowing the partition type bytes for all of them, and the Windows version. I may also need to see the actual MBR table entries, as that order is non-standard and apparently out of order. I might even need to copy that whole MBR sector to a disk to see what's really going on there.

The unusual order is caused by the preinstalled recovery partition, which is the 2nd after the system partition, even if physically at the end of the HD, thusly installed by the computer vendor, still before additional partitions are added by the user.
All Windows version here are XP.

Here dumps from 2 of my HD's, utilizing sfdisk:
----------
# partition table of /dev/sda
unit: sectors

/dev/sda1 : start=       63, size= 48821472, Id= 7, bootable
/dev/sda2 : start=304214400, size=  8361360, Id=12
/dev/sda3 : start= 48821535, size= 37784880, Id=83
/dev/sda4 : start= 86606415, size=217600425, Id= 5
/dev/sda5 : start=156232188, size= 48837537, Id= 7
/dev/sda6 : start=205069788, size= 99137052, Id= 7
/dev/sda7 : start= 86606541, size= 69625584, Id= 7
# partition table of /dev/sda
unit: sectors

/dev/sda1 : start=       63, size= 69625647, Id= 7, bootable
/dev/sda2 : start=147903840, size=  8391600, Id=12
/dev/sda3 : start= 89994240, size= 57909600, Id= f
/dev/sda4 : start= 69625856, size= 20367360, Id= 7
/dev/sda5 : start= 89994303, size= 57909537, Id= b