Re: Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition

From: Ulf Zibis
Subject: Re: Can Grub start Windows XP from "other" partition
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 04:19:20 +0100

Am 22.11.2012 06:11, schrieb Felix Miata:

http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/grub/grub_4.html#SEC22

Much thanks, I've found it in Grub 2:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#DOS_002fWindows

I remember that I had read a tutorial about "duplicating Windows" to 2 partitions for the purpose to
have a working installation and a test installation to try out dangerous things
without corrupting
the first. I'm pretty sure, that the 2nd one was created by just copying the 1st, and if booted into
the 2nd, partition 1 appeared as D:.
Unfortunately I do not find this tutorial again by Google.

Do you have an idea, how this could have been possible, or do you know about a doc which may help me?

Maybe it could be done with XXCOPY while booted to a maintenance system, but not by a partition clone. Registry modifications would be required as well as adjusting boot.ini.

Well, but XCOPY (I guess you mean the one with one X) doesn't copy the partitions boot record. I believe, that the equal size problem will be solved by ntfsresize, which is automatically invoked by GParted. Hopefully, this night I can make a try.

Windows needs a primary to be C:, but it needn't be "installed" to C:.
In other words, Windows needs the NTloader, boot.ini etc. in the first Windows-visible-native-typed
partition which is always named as C:. If Windows itself is "installed" in any
other other
partition, it would be named different, e.g. D:, E: ... right?
Yes.
But how does it work, if there are 2 Windows installations with 2 NTloaders?

Proper configuration of menu.lst, including hiding and unhiding of primaries.

If Windows can only be booted by the NTloader from the 1st partition,

Where did you get this idea? WinXP can only be booted from an only visible
primary.

Here I meant the 1st *visible* partition. Where I got it? ... I interpreted your "Yes" above as that. Maybe I didn't get it right.

how can Grub tell it to boot the Windows installation from the 2nd partition?

Windows can be booted by any primary partition that contains NTLDR, if it is an unhidden partition, and there no other Windows native unhidden primary partitions.

I have a different experience, behind the one, which is booted, other visible primaries are allowed, see my last comment below.

But if there are 2 Windows installations on a system, both listed in Grub's
start menu, each has
it's own NTLDR + boot.ini with only 1 default entry, how can Grub manage to
chainload the right
NTLDR, or instruct the NTLDR in the 1st partition to boot the Windows installation in the 2nd partition?

Can't do that. Once chainloaded, you have to use the Windows boot menu from a properly constructed boot.ini. This will be necessary if you make only one primary to be used as C:. You only put two Windows stanzas in Grub's menu if you have two different primaries that could be C:.
... + edit the grub.cfg to add the hidden (+ makeactive) commands, because grub-update would not do that automatically. Grub seems to assume, that the the 2nd Windows should run as e.g. D:. Then there is no need to hide the 1st.
Right?

In case of the NTLDR of the 2nd Windows-visible-native-typed partition it will boot the 2nd Windows partition,
but "see" the 1st partition as C: and the 2nd as D:, which is the big problem
here if it was
originally installed on C:

Windows cannot boot a system with more than one visible native type primary per HD. In a single HD system, D: will always be a logical, and C: will be the one and only visible primary.

Hm, that confuses me totally. See the following partitions I have on another disk, no Grub or Linux installed:
sda1: NTFS **boot** ---
 Windows XP installation
sda4: NTFS **none** --- Data
sda3: extended **lba**
sda5: FAT32 **none**-- - Backup
sda2: Compaq **diag** --- Thinkpad Recovery (physically at the end of the of
the harddrive)

All partitions are visible and I can perfectly boot Windows from sda1.

Cheers,

-Ulf