Re: grub menu colors work but always a black screen

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: grub menu colors work but always a black screen
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:59:50 +0800

On 09/09/2012 09:38 AM, Greg White wrote:
I removed the extra lines and now I have black background with a blue
menu and white text.  I was trying different color combinations until
something worked.  It looks better now that the extra lines are gone,
but I think an all blue screen with white text would look better.  Is
there any way to get rid of the black background?

For that, you need to set up themes (with plain blue/transparent background perhaps). But I do not personally use any theme, just text. If others here want to show how that's done (with themes), that will be good.

You may want to try "gfxmode=640x480" to get a bigger menu table space.
But that will still result with a black background, albeit smaller.
Now that I noticed, it is not 'set default', 'set gfxmode', etc..., just.......

default=2
timeout=30
# terminal console
gfxmode=1440x900x32
#set gfxpayload=keep

no need for gfxpayload=keep

If this is generated through an OS (I think you are using your own grub), you need to reset through /etc/default/grub etc and 'update-grub'.

Cheers.