Re: GRUB on EFI

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GRUB on EFI
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:58:45 +0200

Hello Greg,

Any system that can't detect windows and just add it without having to edit a script (40_custom) is just broken in my opinion.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1024383

  I deleted update-grub and update-grub2 from the computer to prevent any accidents.

That's not normal.

AFAIK, the easiest way to install GRUB on an EFI computer is:
1) if there is no EFI partition on the disk, create one via Gparted (FAT32, 100MB~250MB, start of the disk, boot flag)
2) make your BIOS boot in EFI mode
3) run Boot-Repair, click the "Recommended Repair" button (it will install GRUB, and add valid entries for Windows to workaround the above bug)

Regards
Yann