Re: EFI to grub to DOS?

From: Jake Thomas
Subject: Re: EFI to grub to DOS?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:33:26 -0700

I'd just Google for Linux memory testers and see if any do what you want.

Also, what motherboard do you have?

There's a Dell-specific tool for Linux called syscfg that lets you change Dell BIOS settings from within Linux. And I've heard of an ASUS tool that let's you change ASUS BIOS settings from Windows. There could be a tool to do the switch for your board.

If you know what you're doing, you could use dd to save the  snippet from /dev/mem that is where the system firmware settings are. Save a copy while the setting is "BIOS" and save a copy while the setting is "EFI". Then compare the two. Then you'd know exactly what to write to /dev/mem to do the switch.

Of course, if you mess something up, you might not be able to boot back up until you externally re-flash the chip. But that's worst case scinerio. Many BIOSes nowadays (guessing all) are cut up into sections to protect against this. The idea is that much of the BIOS can be corrupted or missing, but you'll still have just enough functionality to boot into something that can flash the BIOS. Also, if you corrupt only where the firmware saves settings, but not the firmware itself, a simple clear via the password jumper on the motherboard will fix that by putting everything back to default. And no matter how bad you screw up the firmware of an ASUS board that does USB Flashback or whatever it's called, you can flash on a functional firmware simply by holding the power button while a thumb drive is inserted. So if you have one of those, screw around all you want.

I wouldn't be super comfortable doing the above unless I had one of those ASUS boards. If I had one of those ASUS boards I'd be playing with it.

Also, if you have one of those motherboards where the BIOS chip is in a socket rather than soldered on, and you have two motherboards that will take that chip in a socket, then a hotswap flash would be a synch. I'd be playing around with it in that scenario as well.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone