Grub 1.99 on external USB disk

From: Nordgren, Bryce L -FS
Subject: Grub 1.99 on external USB disk
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 20:50:45 +0000

Hello,

I’m trying to get grub 1.99 to boot NixOS from an external USB disk. Everything works fine when installed on an internal disk, at least on other systems.

Symptom: System says “welcome to grub”, then “error: prefix is not set”, then freezes. No grub rescue prompt. Can’t ctrl-alt-del. Can’t type at all. Must power off.

System (@time of grub-install):

HP2710p laptop

/dev/sda : encrypted internal drive (work)

/dev/sdb: USB flash drive (boot drive) containing NixOS installer

/dev/sdc: 500Gb external USB disk. Two partitions, only /dev/sdc2 is relevant (400Gb). The first partition starts at ~1M, leaving room at the beginning of the disk. Both partitions are ext3.

Install command:

grub-install –modules=”ohci uhci usbms ext2” –boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdc

Fdisk –l output and grub.cfg are attached. (/dev/sdd is the USB stick used to bring these files over to my workstation where I’m writing this email. It wasn’t there when grub-install was run.)

Note that I get a different symptom if the “—modules” option is omitted above. It says “welcome to grub”, then “(hd0) out of disk”, then gives me the grub rescue prompt. Performing an “ls (hd0,msdos2)/” at the prompt lists the first two directories or so, then errors with “(hd0) out of disk”. “/boot” is not among the directories listed. Doing “ls (hd0,msdos1)/” completes successfully.

The attached “grub.cfg” attempts to set root and prefix using filesystem labels and/or uuid. Neither worked.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I was unable to locate this symptom in the archives.

Bryce