Re: More Direct Windows Booting?

From: Jake Thomas
Subject: Re: More Direct Windows Booting?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:58:18 -0700

Yes, I have tried that before and it didn't work. Then I tried a little
differently and it did work (just now thought of doing it this new way).

My Win7 installation has 2 partitions. One is for booting, and one has
everything else (and some booting stuff).

Both partitions have a /bootmgr.

When I use Grub's ntldr command with /bootmgr on the "C:" drive, I get this:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Enter=Continue          ESC=Exit

Then it dawned on me to try the other (load bootmgr from the other partition
via Grub's ntldr command). That did work.

So I'm guessing that having Grub load /bootmgr wouldn't work, assuming you have
a 2 partition deal like this, if you moved where the "C:" drive partition
starts without updating the Windows boot stuff with the repair CD or something,
since you still have to use stuff from the other partition.

Cheers,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone