background image and hidden timeout

From: Oliver Seitz
Subject: background image and hidden timeout
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:41:40 +0200

Hi!

Sorry if this mail arrives twice, I've sent it again when it did not appear in the list archives after five hours.

I'd like to use grub2 to usually boot one system. Boot selection menu is normally not needed, and should be hidden. However, it would be nice if grub could display a background image.

I have (besides the standard ones) these statements in /etc/defaults/grub:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_BACKGROUND="/path/to/filename.png"
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024

This works:

gfxmode is correctly set
hidden timeout is passing
the background image is displayed
timeout is passing
default is booting

This doesn't work:

The menu is displayed after the hidden timeout, no matter if asked for or not. This can be a problem with detecting shift key, haven't looked into this one too much yet. What is more annoying:

The background image is not displayed until a key is pressed, or the menu is shown.

I'd like it best, if even the "GRUB loading./Welcome to GRUB" message was not displayed, and as soon as possible the background image would be shown without the menu.

Is it a bug, a missing feature or misconfiguration? Some docs like
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Hidden explain the hidden time as "No menu entries are displayed. The splash screen, if configured, will be displayed. "

Thanks for any help,
Kiste