Re: Failure of grub-install to auto-insert needed module

From: Jake Thomas
Subject: Re: Failure of grub-install to auto-insert needed module
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 01:46:49 -0700

I need to extend this bug. Even when I directly aim grub-install at
the gpt-schemed image file itself, rather than /dev/loop0, it doesn't
pre-load part_gpt on its own:
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/media/play1 '/home/shjake/Desktop/playimage'

BTW, I got my ArchBang installer image to boot in QEMU. I needed to
specify "-cpu kvm64". Maybe it was trying to run 64-bit Linux on a
32-bit virtual machine? Funny, because I'd expect kvm64 to be the
default on a 64-bit machine with VT-x enabled and kvm installed. So it
works great now, it's just that grub-install should detect that it
needs to pre-load part_gpt when dealing with a gpt loopback device or
image file.
And maybe a hint about specifying more than one module being
pre-loaded that it's one space, no comma, quotes.

And just so you all know, rankmirrors worked in ArchBang in QEMU. So
it was a VirtualBox bug that the virtual machine craches when I try to
run rankmirrors.

Cheers,
Jake